DPI Logo

DPI Logo

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Changes to Emergency Licenses/Permits for 2016-2017

Date:               July 5, 2016

To:                   District Administrators
                        Human Resource Personnel

From:               Tammy G. Huth, Director
                        Teacher Education, Professional Development & Licensing

Subject:           Changes to Emergency Licenses/Permits for 2016-2017

With the reauthorization of ESEA, changes have occurred in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) related to highly qualified teachers. Under ESSA, the “core academic subjects” and highly qualified provision has been removed. Per federal regulations, the 2016-2017 year is a transition year for reporting highly qualified. While we have received relief for reporting most licensure areas, the department must continue to report special education teacher licensure.

Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), a special education teacher in Wisconsin must hold an Initial Educator, Professional Educator, Master Educator or Life License in the appropriate special education licensure area. IDEA language also allows an individual with a bachelor’s degree going through a preparation route to licensure to be considered qualified if this individual:

·         Receives high quality professional development that is sustained, intensive and class-room focused to have a positive and lasting impact on classroom instruction before and while teaching; and
·         Participates in a program of intensive supervision that consists of structured guidance and regular ongoing support for teachers or a teacher mentoring program; and
·         Assumes functions as a teacher only for a specified period of time not to exceed three school years; and
·         Demonstrates satisfactory progress toward full certification as prescribed by the State.

New Emergency License and Emergency Permit District Request Form
As a result of the ESSA and IDEA changes, we have made changes to our emergency license and emergency permit applications to collect the information needed for federal reporting. These changes have also allowed us to streamline this application.  The new PI-1624-EL form available at http://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/files/imce/forms/pdf/pod1624-el.pdf  replaces the PI-1602-EL-Page 2B. Use the new PI-1624-EL form to request an emergency license or emergency permit for any pupil services professional or teaching assignment. Please discard any PI-1602-EL-Page 2B forms, as this old form will no longer be accepted.

Educator Licensing Online (ELO) Ready to Go!
Beginning in the 2016-17 school year, emergency license and emergency permits will move from a two-part transaction in ELO to a one-part transaction. As such, applicants will need to have both their completed PI-1624-EL form and a bachelor’s degree transcript scanned and ready to upload in the ELO system. They must also be prepared to make payment to complete the transaction. We believe this will improve turnaround time in processing this type of application. On July 5, 2016, we went live in ELO with the updated application transaction.

Summary of changes to the Emergency License or Emergency Permit Request
  • PI 34.21 requires a district to state that a search was conducted to fill assignments with fully licensed candidates. Starting in the 2016-17 school year, districts will attest that this external search was conducted and that an acceptable, fully-licensed candidate was not available for hire. We have removed the narrative justification from the new form.
  • The district or school will identify on the PI-1624-EL form what action the applicant will take during the school year to obtain full licensure. The options available to teachers may vary depending on what teaching subject is sought or what preparation pathway they will pursue during the school year. District staff can learn about the Wisconsin pathways at: http://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/pathways
  • Special education assignments will require districts/schools to attest that the teacher is qualified, based on the IDEA provisions. The new form requests this information.
  • When requesting renewal special education emergency licenses or emergency permits, the district/school will want to monitor the total number previously issued to be mindful of the IDEA provisions, which allows three years to become prepared.

Helpful Information:
  • To apply in ELO for a teaching emergency or special education permit, the applicant will select License Type T201 and Transaction Code 1215.
  • To apply in ELO for a pupil services emergency (school counselor, school nurse, school psychologist, or school social worker), the applicant will select License Type P201 and Transaction Code 1215.
  • To apply in ELO for a driver’s education emergency, the applicant will select License Type T221 and Transaction Code 1215.
  • Information about pathways to licensure can be found at: http://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/pathways
  • Information about emergency license/emergency permits can be found at: http://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/licensing/types/emergency
  • Please contact our office at http://dpi.wi.gov/support/contact-educator-licensing  or at 800-266-1027, if you have further questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment