DPI Logo

DPI Logo

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

How do I get an emergency license for an educator who moves to Wisconsin and has not completed required tests?

You can't.  Emergency licenses can only be issued to educators who already hold a valid Wisconsin license.  The emergency license allows them to teach in a different subject area and/or grade level than their existing license.

Wisconsin used to issue one-year non-renewable licenses to out-of-state educators who had not completed our testing requirements.  That practice was stopped a few years ago because our legal counsel advised that neither statute nor rule provided authority to do so.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Renewing by PDP instead of credits

Educators who completed their prep program on or before August 31, 2004, (under PI 3) can choose to switch over to renewing with a PDP instead of six credits.  Many educators have found completing the PDP easier (and cheaper) than credits because it is based on what they are already doing and reporting in their jobs.  You do not need to do anything until you apply, and at that time you indicate that you completed a verified PDP, and the ELO system will search for an electronic verification from QEI or WECAN PDP.  You always have the choice between credits and PDP for each license cycle.

Licensing Update - 9/22/14

Here is a quick update on where we are in processing applications.  For each type of application, the date listed is the date we received applications on which we are currently working.

Initial Instate
  • Teacher: Aug 30
  • Administrator: June 23
  • Pupil Services: Aug 15

Renewals: June 19

Advancement: May 7

Out-of-State: May 15

1-year Extensions: July 20

Upgrade (1-year to 5-year): May 20

Emergency licenses: July 1

5-year Substitute: June 23

3-year Sub Permit: Aug 1

Monday, September 15, 2014

Why does my license have a different subject area/position code?

All subject and position codes were converted to four digits during the data migration from our old system to Educator Licensing Online.  In general, a 1 was added before the old teacher license numbers (e.g., the English teacher 300 license is now 1300), a 50 was added before the old administrator license numbers (e.g., the Principal 51 license is now 5051), and a 70 was added before all pupil services licenses (e.g., the School Guidance Counselor 54 license is now 7054).

Also, the numeric license types and grade/developmental levels are no longer used.  These are now just text (e.g., Professional Educator License).

Friday, September 12, 2014

Can a Life License become invalid?

Yes.  Under PI 34, Life Licenses remain valid as long as the educator during the past five years has either been regularly employed by a school district or taken six semester credits.  For more information, please see the guidance document at http://dpi.wi.gov/files/tepdl/pdf/Life-License-Guidance.pdf.

Invalid Life Licenses can be reactivated by completing six semester credits.  If you just want to substitute teach, you can apply for a five-year substitute teacher license, which does not require any continuing professional development.  Application directions are at http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/elo-initial-sub-wi-tips.

Monday, September 8, 2014

ELO Tutorial Videos

Since the launch of Educator Licensing Online (ELO) in January, we have found that two areas that have proven troublesome for educators are creating a WAMS ID and, for educators who already hold a Wisconsin license, onboarding.  We posted two short how-to videos on YouTube to help in these areas:

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Can licensed educator work as special ed aide?

Q: We have hired someone who has a counselor license but will be working as a special education aide.  Can they work with the counselor license, or do they need to apply for a special education aide license?

A: An educator with a valid teacher, administrator, or pupil services license can work in a special education program aide position with their current license and be considered Highly Qualified.

Licensing Update

This went out to District Administrators this morning:

Dear District Administrator:

As your school year begins, we want to provide a quick update on educator licensing that may assist with questions we are currently receiving from school districts. We will continue to process license applications as quickly as possible. We appreciate all your efforts to ensure your educators are appropriately licensed. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with questions or for assistance.

School districts are reminded that educators who applied by June 30, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. for license renewal are considered “timely applications,” and Wis. Stat. 227.51 (2) ensures their licenses remain current until DPI completes the processing of their application. Additional information on "timely" application has been posted to our webpage.  License applications are processed in the order in which they are received. We are currently processing license renewal applications received June 9, 2014. Initial In State license applications, from candidates completing educator preparation programs, have been processed through August 13, 2014. Please reference our Educator Licensing Online (ELO) web pages for important ELO updates, answers to frequently asked licensing questions, and guidance on checking license status. The License Look Up  provides current information on every Wisconsin licensed educator.

Best wishes on a successful school year.

Mike Thompson, PhD

Deputy State Superintendent